Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Class Cancelled!

Today classes were cancelled due to flooding!

Campus river getting a little over zealous



These photos have been spreading widely across facebook.

I have been doing school work lately.  It's a weird change of pace from the rest of my semester, I don't like it.

Another thing: I revealed to Becca a while back that before coming here I never differentiated between "noodles" and "pasta".  I think I would pretty much use them interchangeably, or maybe it would depend on shape or something.  Here it's very clear when you're eating noodles (which is most of the time) versus pasta, which is always described in Chinese as "Italian style noodles" but which everyone translates to "spaghetti".  Anyway, now I know, they're made from different things, totally not the same at all, blah blah blah.  Apparently my body has learned the difference too!  I had pasta today for the first time since February and not only did it seem totally different to chew than the noodles I've grown used to, but my stomach wasn't used to it, either, and it felt like I had eaten rocks.  So strange!  I've had so much pasta in my life and now it's like a whole new food!

Also, I went to the doctor on Monday.  I was nervous because I don't exactly have health insurance here - I mean, my American one will work once I return but until then it's all out-of-pocket.  The doctor looked at my ear, and prescribed both an oral and topical antibiotic.  I didn't even have to go to a drug store, they gave me the necessary medications immediately.  All for a grand total of... just over $13.  Which is less than my usual co-pay for one generic prescription.  This is honestly the first time I really understand why people say the health care system in America is so dysfunctional - if this is the alternative, sign me up!  Ear is still nasty and painful but I am hoping for a breakthrough in the next day or two.

Hoping I'll still have the chance to complete my "before I leave Taiwan" to do list in the midst of all this work and rain.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, pretty amazing flooding.

    Glad to hear that you had our ear looked at. Give me state run health care any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. surely you have done it all now: earthquake, floods, fire (in garbage can), (Mazu-prompted) stampede, fog, rain, mountains, infection . . . . what could possibly remain on your to-do list? frogs raining from the heavens?

    ReplyDelete