Sunday, February 5, 2012

BLOG 101: Intro to Blog

I already wrote out my whole first post and then realized it required a sort of introductory post, so I am now post-poning (get it?) its release.  This is not that first post.  This is that introduction.  A preface, if you will.  Like a "previously on" before the start of the episode, just to get you up to date.
This is my blog!  I am going abroad this semester to study in Taipei, Taiwan!

This is what it looks like!
Everyone keeps a blog when they go abroad.  It just seemed like the thing to do.  I will be studying as an exchange student at National Chengchi University.  If you know anything about Taiwan, you will not know what I'm talking about because they call it something totally different.  This is about 8,000 miles from my home university, Rice.  And as I understand it, a lot changes in those 8,000 miles... time zones, skin tones, food, language, culture... it is going to be an Adventure.

Which brings me to the name of my blog.  Taiwan Toni is a nickname coined by my frisbee coach, Eric.  I guess I am only telling you this because I would feel weird if it seemed like I had this self-dubbed, homemade, affectionate nickname.

Anyway, the main purpose of this blog is mostly for my parents to see what I'm up to and hear my charming narrative, because roaming fees and time differences will make phone calls difficult.  It is also for me because I like talking about myself and now there is no one to cut me off!  I also imagine that if the world doesn't end this year as it's supposed to, I may look back at this one day, which will be cheaper than actually flying back to Taiwan.  That being said, I happily invite other interested parties to follow my travels.  This mission statement/disclaimer is just so you know that I won't be offended if you stop reading, but don't be surprised if I am longwinded and boring, because I am not running this like a superbowl commercial, appealing to the masses and snagging your interest with my pithy 30-second $3.5 million teaser.  I will also post some statuses or photos to my facebook for casual observers.  Facebook will be like the iPod shuffle of my trip.  This blog is the whole iTunes library.  All the gory details.  So buckle your seatbelts.

Welcome to my blog!


ps. This is Toni Lloyd-Davies, if that was unclear.  Dammit.  I am bad at introductions.

6 comments:

  1. TONI! I feel honored that you would not only mention me by name in your blog, but have taken Taiwan Toni to a whole new level. You may be new to the whole blogging thing, but so far so good!

    I'm looking forward to reading about all the craziness that will for sure happen. And if the whole school thing doesnt work out bc of the language barrier (or the dorm rooms) you can always do this:

    http://www.blacktomato.com/1258/muay-thai-kickboxing-thailand/

    In closing... shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi. shi shi, shi shi shi shi, shi shi. shi shi shi shi shi shi. ("miss you already. do something crazy for me. lets skype some time")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni! No need to stress! Taiwan, and particularly Taipei, are wonderful! You can get most anything there that you can get here. I would just suggest that you take a supply of whatever cosmetics, shampoos, little pills you like, to be sure you get your favorite brand. Taiwan is much more western than Mainland China. You will also be able to find western food on every street, but I do strongly recommend the Taiwanese food. It's delicious, especially the dumpling houses. They have food courts, most of the menus are in English as well as Chinese (and often Japanese) and the food is international. The people will fall in love with your red hair and everyone will be eager to try out their English with you; they are extremely friendly and helpful. The subways are easy to navigate and much cleaner than NYC or DC. One caveat: there is petty theft and purse snatching, as there is in any big city, so carry your money and passport in inside pockets and keep an eye on your purse. Have someone write out the name of your dorm and college on a "please take me to..." piece of paper, and carry it with you at all times. Cabs are cheap and you can always show them this and get back to your dorm. You are going to have an exciting time and I'm looking forward to reading every word of your blog! Hugs, Aunt Virginia

      Delete
  2. Oh, and also: the climate is pretty nice (it's 73ยบ right now.) It can get humid and the AC is not always available, so take light clothing and be sure to pack an umbrella! Comfortable shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you hate a hard bed, you could do what I always do when I go to China or Taiwan: take a piece of egg crate foam, cut to fit flat inside your big suitcase. I cram it in on top of all my packing. When you come back to the US, just leave it there and you will have lots of space for mementos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Toni, this is fantastic...I am envious. If you need some help with your Mandarin and Madeline isn't available, then, call on Wynn - he is learning. Bumped into D(ee)(?) O'Brien yesterday, she asked about you. Wynn is in a musical , Joseph...Dreamcoat. She knew me but wasn't sure from where and then I mentioned your name. Wonder what those things were that you said in class that would make her blush?
    Be good, stay well. ENJOY this opportunity. xo Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. shi shi shi shi. sorry to be so blunt but you needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete